Covid-19 Contingency Plans at OLS: Staying Connected
The most important thing to remember at this unusual time is that even though the school building is closed, the OLS school community continues to thrive and stays connected.
During this closure period, students, parents and staff will continue to work together for the best possible outcomes for all students; we're just doing it in a slightly different way to usual!
You will find some information and links to resources on this page that you will find useful during the school closure.
Staff and students have been preparing for the possibility of remote teaching and learning for a number of weeks so we are well equipped to keep both teaching and learning on track.
Supports you can access:
- Your school Gmail account for emails.
- Google Classrooms that your teachers have set up for you.
- The first time you access a Google Classroom you need a code or an invitation email from the teacher. After that, the Classroom will stay sitting in your Classroom App and you can revisit it anytime.
- If you are missing a code, email your teacher and ask them for it.
- Teachers will be setting work, correcting work and covering content from the relevant courses over the coming weeks.
- Many of the platforms they will use will invite your comments/ questions/ input.
- Don't forget you can always email your teacher a question directly. Just remember that as they have many students, you may not get an instant response.
- You are not learning in isolation...your classmates and teachers are working with you...keep those communication channels open!
- Remember, however, to keep school contact to during school hours. We all need to have some digital detox too!
- In the Study Tips section you can check out some more ideas for managing your learning from home.
Survival tips & Wellbeing:
- Stick to the school timetable.
- Keeping a routine is very important because even though we don't like to admit it, humans thrive on habit and routine.
- It is important that the time you spend on each subject is balanced. If you don't work to a scheduled timetable, how will you know if you are doing too much or too little?!
- Towards the end of Week 1 we will have a short student survey to check in on how each year group is managing their workload and time. You will get this via email.
- Take little breaks between classes and for small break and lunch as per usual!
- It is also absolutely essential that you find an overall life balance and look after your wellbeing.
- You need exercise. You need fresh air. You need social connections (doesn't have to be physical). You need to have time for play as well as time for school work.
- You can do all of these things, even though it might be slightly differently to how you usually do them. We have to follow the government's guidelines for staying safe, especially around others, but we still need breaks and fun in our lives!
- Build a balance in to your day.
- Even though we are encouraged to practice physical social distancing at the moment, stay connected - this is so important. We are all experiencing this together for the first time. Talk to your family and friends about how you are getting on, what you find difficult, and how we can figure out ways to keep positive and well.
- If you have any queries or comments about your experience of remote teaching and learning so far, you can email email@example.com . You can also mail in any top tips for remote learning and we can share them with everyone else!
- Avoid social media on your device during school hours.
- Check out this link to the HSE's suggestions for minding your mental health during this period: https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/mental-health/minding-your-mental-health-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak.html
Communications during the school closure period:
- Teachers and class groups will stay connected via Google Classroom and email. Remember this is an interactive forum so you can ask your teacher questions/comment as you work.
- We will communicate updates and keep the school community connected via the School App.
- We will also use this page on the website to keep track of all the information we are sharing with the school community.