History & Ethos of Our Lady's Terenure
Our Lady’s School first opened its doors in 1953 and has since been steadily progressing and developing to meet our community’s needs. There have been two extensions to the original school building, the most recent of which was opened in 2011, creating much needed additional space and updating technological and practical classrooms.
The school’s facilities, in addition to general classrooms, include three computer rooms, three collaborative multi-purpose project rooms, five science laboratories, three Home Economics kitchens, two learning support rooms, an inviting, contemporary library (we have been awarded the PDST National Well Read Award reflecting our whole school reading and literacy initiatives), two music rooms, an oratory, a lecture theatre, two collaborative classrooms, two art rooms, two guidance rooms, and two multi-purpose halls used for assemblies, study and as lunch rooms. Hot food is available at lunch time in the canteen in Lourdes Hall.
Our Lady’s School is a Health Promoting School and our students thrive on a well-structured Physical Education programme and a vast array of extra-curricular activities. We have a sports hall, an exercise/gym area and an astro-turf hockey pitch. Neighbouring Bushy Park provides an additional location for PE classes and extracurricular activities. Students are encouraged to get active and outdoors at break times. The school grounds have well maintained green areas where there are picnic tables for student use. There is also a raised garden, designed by Transition Year students, for everyone’s enjoyment. An Active Schools Flag walkway has been mapped out to encourage all members of the school community to get their steps in as well as some fresh air!